Caring for skin with Eczema and Dermatitis

Dermatitis is a general term used to describe inflammatory conditions of the skin. Dermatitis comes in three main forms which are atopic, contact and seborrheic.

Atopic dermatitis is triggered by allergens and irritants. Atopic dermatitis symptoms include dry, cracking, skin, itching, and redness of the skin. Dehydration makes this condition worse and the condition is typically chronic and recurring.

Contact dermatitis is inflammation caused as a result of contact with a substance or chemical. The substance of chemical does not necessarily have to be toxic or caustic in order for contact dermatitis to appear. Contact with common allergens, such as poison ivy, jewelry containing silver or nickel, dyes and detergents on fabric, and makeup or skin care ingredients can all cause contact dermatitis.

Eczema is a form of seborrheic dermatitis which is a disorder of the sebaceous, or oil glands, in the skin. It is characterized by painful, itching, with dry or moist lesions in the creases of elbows, knees, scalp and chest. Eczema is often chronic and ranges in severity from acute to severe.

Eczema is best treated first by a dermatologist who can access both the external and internal factors that may be causing the condition and then prescribe a remedy for the disorder. Some traditional skin care treatments that are performed by estheticians can make eczema worse, so it is important to let your esthetician know if you experience eczema breakouts before you undergo any facial or skin treatments.

Atopic dermatitis symptoms can be relieved by keeping the skin hydrated with lotion, humectant creams and by using humidifiers to keep the air moist. A dermatologist may also prescribe a corticosteroid cream to help relieve the symptoms.